OMR actually an abbreviation of the Old Mahabalipuram Road, is fast emerging as a destination address. While one would have thought that after the East Coast Road, the newer road to Mahabalipuram came up, OMR would have lost its importance. But in fact, the commercial development on OMR has been unbelievably immense in the last few years. The IT sector especially has made it its home, so much so that the road is now known as the IT Corridor. A large Government industrial estate is also situated here. In addition, there are several reputed educational institutions with their own campuses providing primary, secondary and higher education. It wouldn’t be surprising if the concentration of engineering colleges dotted all along OMR is among the highest in cities.
All these have resulted in several thousands of people commuting every day on this road, in turn bringing about a massive improvement in transport services, making it one of the best-connected areas in Chennai. The easy access to ECR and GST makes this even better. Moreover, the Chennai Metro is proposed to introduced in Phase 2. Numerous eating places including modern food courts offer every imaginable cuisine -Indian, Mughalai, Chinese, Lebanese, Mexican, Continental, to name a few. Add the dedicated large spaces for sports and fitness, cinema complex, super markets etc. and you have OMR, now among the most happening places in Chennai. No wonder the property prices in OMR area have been appreciating significantly, in the last one year, some estimates place the figure at over 50%.
On the con side, quite a few people with their workplaces on OMR, do complain about the enormous time it takes to travel to and from work especially during peak hours. One sensible way out is finding a home on OMR or just off OMR. While perhaps, a decade back, OMR was considered ‘outside’ Chennai city, today every convenience that is found in the heart of Chennai is available on OMR. As a matter of fact, in some cases the options are perceptibly better. Very importantly price of a comparable home on OMR is likely to be far less than in the so called center of the city. Predictably, quite a few apartment complexes have sprung up on OMR. While some of them are uber luxury homes costing a fortune, there are a few more affordable ones. Serious home buyers rate Radiance Mercury and Radiance Sapphire strategically located at Perumbakkam and Sholinganallur as value for money projects.
Connectivity with nearby OMR localities
• There are a few major roads which run through the area i.e., the East Coast Road, Velachery-Tambaram Road, Rajiv Gandhi Salai and Kalaingar Karunanidhi Salai.
• The area has an extensive bus service and the Perungudi Bus Stand, Thoraipakkam Bus Stand, Sholinganallur Bus Stand and many other bus stands lie on this road.
• There are railway stations at Tambaram and Guindy, from which the suburban railway services can be availed. There are other railway stations also which can be accessed from OMR.
• The Guindy Metro Station and the St Thomas Mount Metro Station are also near to the area.
• The international airport also lies in close vicinity.
Reasons to invest in OMR
• Presence of IT Giants , Multi-national and National Corporates and Industrial Giants Because of this, OMR has been witnessing a rapid influx of working population from outside, leading to a surge in the demand for residential apartments in OMR. Property prices in this region have appreciated by over 50% in the last one year and rentals range from Rs. 10000 – 50000 per month.
• Proximity to popular entertainment, shopping and dining spots.
• Proximity to educational institutes.
• Well established hospitals in the vicinity.
• Enjoys widespread road connectivity through OMR & ECR.
• Proposed Chennai Metro Phase-2 to boost demand on OMR.
• Many areas near OMR have been recently brought under the purview of the City Corporation of Chennai and the plans for a number of infrastructure projects have been drawn up.
Made with ♥ by HEPTA